? STOP AB 1542 ACTION STEPS
We are in the final stretch to stop AB 1542 (a bill that would coerce people into drug treatment) and we need your help! The bill is going up for a vote in the Senate Health Committee on Wednesday (7/14) & we have 3 urgent actions we need you to take between now and next Wednesday!
- SIGN ONTO THE UPDATED COALITION LETTER OF OPPOSITION
Please email email@example.com by 9am on TUESDAY 7/13 if your organization is able to sign on!
Note: This is an updated version of a letter sent from CFC on June 16, 2021.
- SUBMIT A LETTER OF OPPOSITION ON BEHALF OF YOUR ORGANIZATION– Use this letter template and submit it to the Senate Health Committee by EOD MONDAY 7/12.
Note: If you’ve already submitted a letter of opposition, please resend an updated letter, as we’ve edited language to better reflect the specific impacts on health care and consent.
Here is sample email for outreach to senators:
Subject Line – Oppose AB 1542
Dear Chair Pan and Co-Chair Melendez,
We strongly urge you to oppose AB 1542 in the Senate Health Committee. As the legislative committee tasked with public health matters, the Senate Health Committee is uniquely positioned to understand the harmful impacts of AB 1542. This bill does not expand access to healthcare for Californians in need. In fact, AB 1542 expands incarceration and undermines a right to consent to medical treatment. Attached is a letter further explaining why we urge you to oppose AB 1542.
- TURN OUT FOR PUBLIC COMMENT: Senate Health Committee Hearing – WEDNESDAY 7/16 @ 10AM– Call-in Info: 877-336-4437, Access Code: 8268428
Note: We will email you when the bill is up for public comment!
- Toolkit: org/comment0707
- Share the toolkit with your individual networks
- Post on social media on your individual and organizational platforms
Ambrose Brooks S.