The preliminary findings from our street outreach to over 1657 homeless people in 16 communities shows:
- 82% of survey respondents reported being harassed, cited, or arrested for sleeping.
- 77% of survey respondents reported being harassed, cited, or arrested for sitting or lying on the sidewalk.
- 75% of survey respondents reported being harassed, cited, or arrested for loitering or hanging out.
- Only 26% of the respondents said they knew of a safe place to sleep at night.
- See the full results here: Street outreach fact sheet
- Observe los resultados aqui: Censo Nacional en Derechos Civiles
If you would like to add your communities voice to this effort download the forms below, complete the surveys, and send them into us. We will add them to the national results and send you your local & national results.
Houseless people often live in communities or “encampments” for their safety and well being. Belongings and community are necessary for survival, but private and public agencies have deemed both these things illegal and are aggressively and violently policing, sweeping, harassing and attacking our houseless neighbors. They are evicted from their encampments and their life preserving belongings are repeatedly stolen. These cruel and unnecessary acts are an extraordinary waste of resources and cause serious harm. Documentation is vital, use the form below to do that!
New Sweeps Form
This summer, the Systemic Justice Project—a policy innovation group created by Harvard Law School students—worked with local organizers to create Know Your Rights pamphlets for all ten of the communities banded together in the Stop the Sweeps campaign. Over the course of their research into local ordinances and constitutional protections, each of the interns remarked on how—while technically and theoretically unhoused people maintain rights the state must adhere to—basic civil rights are uniformly ignored, violated, and worked around.
Know Your Rigths Austin, TX Download PDF
Know Your Rigths Chico, CA Download PDF
Know Your Rigths Denver, CO Download PDF
Know Your Rigths New York, NY Download PDF
Know Your Rigths Oakland, CA Download PDF
Know Your Rigths Portland, OR Download PDF
Know Your Rigths Sacramento, CA Download PDF
Know Your Rigths San Francisco, CA Download PDF
Know Your Rigths Santa Rosa, CA Download PDF